- Applying for Financial Aid
- Verification Process
- Awarding Process
- Award Letter
- Loan Process
- Things that Affect Your Aid
- Cost of Attendance
- Other Resources
- Disbursing Aid
- Financial Aid Forms
- Types of Financial Aid
- VA and Military Benefits
- Tuition & Fees
- Financial Aid FAQ
- Consortium Agreements
How do I know if I am Selected for Verification?
The Financial Aid office will send you an email notification that you are selected for verification and what documents you need to submit to our office.
How do I know which IRS Federal Tax Transcripts to request?
Using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool when you complete your FAFSA on the Web is the best, fastest, and easiest way to verify income.
- Use your 2015 tax information when completing the 2016-17 FAFSA
- Use your 2015 tax information when completing the 2017-18 FAFSA
If you were selected for verification and you (or spouse, or if dependent your parent) were unable to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool; or, Franklin sent you an email requesting your IRS Tax Transcript you MUST request a "transcript" of the federal tax return you filed with the IRS. IMPORTANT: A copy of a tax return is not acceptable.
There are a few ways to request a Return Transcript from the IRS:
1) Online at IRS (http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript). Click on the blue button that says "Get Transcript ONLINE" or "Get Transcript by MAIL". If you have not already done so, you will asked to set up an account. Once your account is setup, request a Return Transcript. You will either be able to view, print or download your Return Transcript immediately or your Return Transcript will be sent to you by mail within 5-10 calendar days.
- Request a 2015 Return Transcript for the 2016-17 or the 2017-18 year.
2) By automated phone transcript service at 1.800.908.9946. Ask for a Return Transcript for the appropriate year, as indicated above..
NOTE: If you (or your spouse, if married; or parent if a dependent student) filed an Amended Federal Tax Return (1040X), a SIGNED copy of your 1040X must be attached with the IRS Return Transcript and submitted to our office.
Verification of Non-filing Letter
There are two ways to request a 2015 Verification of Non-filing Letter from the IRS.
1. You may go online at the IRS website to receive an instant downloadable non-filing letter. Click on the blue box with the text “Get Transcript Online”. You will be required to provide or have access to the following information:
- Your SSN, date of birth, filing status and mailing address from latest tax return
- Access to your email account
- A personal account number from a credit card, mortgage, home equity loan, home equity line of credit or car loan, and
- A mobile phone that is in your name
2. If you are unable to obtain the Verification of Non-filing letter online, you may obtain a copy by mailing in the IRS Form 4506-T. Download the form from the IRS website (https://www.irs.gov/form4506t).
You must fill out the following on the form:
- Line 1a and 1b with your full name and SSN
- Line 3 with your full current address
- Checkmark box 7 to request a Verification of Non-filing
- Line 9-enter the date of 12/31/2015
- Checkmark the box above the signature stating you read the attestation clause
- Sign and date the form and include a phone number
Mail the form to the address listed on page 2 of the 4506-T. Choose the address for your state under “Chart for all other transcripts”.
Please Note: any IRS Verification of Non-filing Letter must be dated on or after October 1, 2016 to be a valid document.
Do not complete these forms unless you have received a request from our Financial Aid office. The forms are available on our Financial Aid Forms page. First, select the appropriate year button, then scroll down to Verification Forms (Independent Verification Worksheet, Dependent Verification Worksheet, Support of Household Members). PRINT OUT ONLY THE FORMS OUR OFFICE REQUESTED. Complete the forms in blue or black ink and submit them to our office.
Franklin University will not be able to process your financial aid until all requested information is received. As with all requests from University offices, please respond as quickly as possible.
New requests for documents or information may arise throughout the year. Please respond quickly to any requests for information.
Ready to start an application?
Franklin's student-centered philosophy is one of the many reasons so many students choose us!START YOUR APPLICATION