Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserves (MGIB-SR) - Chapter 1606

Eligibility for this program is determined by the Selected Reserve components. VA makes the payments for this program. You may be entitled to receive up to 36 months of education benefits. Your eligibility for the program normally ends on the day you leave the Selected Reserve.

One exception to this rule exists if you are mobilized (or recalled to active duty from your reserve status). In this case, your eligibility may be extended for the amount of time you are mobilized PLUS four months. For example, if you are mobilized for 12 months your eligibility period is extended for 16 months (12 months active duty PLUS 4 months.) So even if you leave the reserves after mobilization, you may have additional eligibility to the MGIB-SR.

If your unit is deactivated during the period beginning on October 1, 2007 through September 30, 2014 or you are involuntarily separated (for reasons other than misconduct) you will retain your original period of eligibility which is 14 years from the date of your first 6 year obligation with the selected reserves.

The first thing you should do is determine your eligibility for these benefits with the VA by calling 1-888-442-4551.

Application Process:

  1. Complete the Application for Benefits (22-1990) form on the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs “Veterans ON-line APPlication” (VONAPP). Or see step #2 if you have ever used your VA educational benefits at another school.
    1. Where the VONAPP application asks you to identify a specific VA Regional Office to which to electronically submit your benefits application, be certain to enter “St. Louis, Missouri" VA Regional Office.” This is the regional office affiliated with Franklin University.
    2. Print two copies of your VONAPP application: one copy for your record and one copy that you will submit to the Office of Military and Veteran Affairs (OMVA) at Franklin.
    3. Following the successful processing of your benefits application, the VA will issue a “Certificate of Eligibility” to you by mail. The VA will not send this to the school; it is your responsibility to send a copy of this to OMVA at Franklin upon receipt.
    4. The U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs currently estimates that processing will require twenty-eight calendar days. Franklin University cannot be responsible for complications or delays in benefit awards due to VA delays in application processing.
  2. Complete the Change of Place or Training (22-1995) form instead of the 22-1990 if you have used your benefits at previous school.
  3. Submit a Plan of Attendance (POA) each academic year in which benefits are requested.
  4. Certification of Benefits
    1. Upon registration and receipt of all required documentation, OMVA at Franklin will forward an Enrollment Certification (22-1999) to the VA Regional Office.
  5. Verify Attendance
    1. Login to the W.A.V.E. website on the last calendar day of every month to verify your enrollment.

Important Note:
Situations that may affect payment of VA benefits include the following:

  • Repeated or audited courses
  • Change or addition of major program
  • Add or drop in credit hours
  • Developmental education courses not applicable to degree
  • Any education course in which a grade of “Z”, “NZ”, or “W” is earned
  • Non-receipt of official transcripts from previous colleges and universities attended
  • VA training time

Regulations require that all such items be reported to the VA so that adjustments can be made accordingly. Failure to notify an advisor in the Office of Military & Veteran Affairs may result in overpayments or withholding of benefits. (Be sure to email or call 1-877-341-6300, to ensure you speak with an advisor in the office of Military & Veteran Affairs.)


Have a question?

Get Answers Now Ask Franklin's Virtual Advisor:

Ask real questions like
"How do I apply?"

Ready to start an application?

Franklin's student-centered philosophy is one of the many reasons so many students choose us!