ESL/ESP Immersion Adjunct Urbana
Urbana University, a division of Franklin University, is seeking part-time adjunct faculty to teach a pilot ESL/ESP Immersion program for Junior and Senior level Franklin students attending engineering and business programs in Mexico. This 3 month program will be offered during the day on the Urbana University campus located in Urbana, Ohio, beginning September 19, 2016. The selected candidate will teach between 2-4 hours per day, 4 days per week in this residential, non-credit experiential program. There are two groups of 15-18 students who will be going through this program concurrently. As such, we seek adjuncts who are able to teach 4 consecutive days during the week from 9:30 a.m.-11:30 a.m. and/or again from 1:00 p.m.-3:00 p.m.
Our Blue Horizon Immersion Program provides a combination of intensive English instruction through intensive integrated skills course work, diverse and engaging cultural activities linked to project-based learning, and direct engagement with the Urbana campus and business communities. The program is designed to provide a true cultural and linguistic immersion experience. Ideal applicants are willing to participate enthusiastically in the cultural and activity program.
Essential Position Duties and Responsibilities:
• Facilitate student participation in cultural activities by working with the Academic Program Director to develop in-class scaffolding for cultural events
• Work with students individually, as required
• Assist in planning and executing weekly field trips and activities (although attendance to the activities themselves are not required)
• Prepare end-of-term evaluations for each student taught
• Attend staff meetings
• Master's degree (or imminent completion of one) in TESOL or related field
• At least 1-2 years of ESL teaching experience
• Native or native-like proficiency in American English
• Sensitivity to international students of all cultural backgrounds
• Demonstrated teaching ability
• Ability to teach 4 days per week on the Urbana University campus
• Experience leading second-language acquisition activities experience in a liberal arts setting is preferred
• Fluency in a language other than English is also preferred
Founded in 1850, Urbana University serves more than 1800 students from around the world from its 128 acre campus nestled in the West Central Ohio town of Urbana. Known for innovative academic programs that feature personal attention from faculty, the University offers more than 30 undergraduate programs and several graduate degrees, delivering coursework in class, online, or a combination of both. Blue Knights athletics includes 15 NCAA II sports along with intercollegiate bowling and shooting sports. For more information about the University, please visit our homepage at www.urbana.edu.
To apply, please visit https://forms.franklin.edu/employment to complete the adjunct faculty application for the ESL/ESP Immersion Adjunct Urbana position and attach a copy of your resume or curriculum vitae along with your unofficial transcripts.
It is the policy of Urbana University to offer equal employment opportunity to all, regardless of sex, age, race, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry. Urbana University recruits, hires, trains, upgrades, and promotes based solely upon the qualifications of the individual in relation to the experience and skills required for the position concerned. Urbana University will continue to employ and promote individuals who demonstrate the greatest potential for a long, continuous employment career with the University.