Technology Requirements for Online Learning
Franklin University utilizes computer technology and electronic communication for the purpose of instruction, administration, advancement, research, and study. Franklin’s campus network and technology resources were designed and implemented to support and enhance the education of Franklin University students. Students are provided with technology resources in classrooms, kiosks, laboratories, and via the internet.
Students who are pursuing an online degree from Franklin University may utilize their own devices for coursework. Please note that students whose devices do not meet the minimum hardware, operating system, or software specifications other than listed below, may not have access to all Franklin University systems and will have limited support options available from the Help Desk. The following hardware and software requirements are applicable for all registered students:
General Technology Requirements
Minimum Hardware Requirements:
- Dual Core processor at 1 GHz or faster
- 2 GB RAM minimum (4 GB+ recommended)
- 40 GB or higher of available hard drive space at the beginning of each term
- DVD optical drive (needed for some courses)
- 1024 x 768 minimum resolution display
- Integrated PC microphone and speakers or a headset with microphone
- A high speed internet connection with a download speed of 4 Mbps or faster (Use of satellite, cellular, or public access internet may result in poor performance)
Operating System and Software Requirements:
- Windows 7 or newer
- Microsoft Office 2013 (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, & Access)
- Virus protection – updated and scanned regularly
- Up to date versions of Internet browsers required:
- Google Chrome – required for BlueQuill
- Mozilla Firefox/Internet Explorer/Edge - may be needed for other applications
In order to use all of the Franklin-supplied technology resources, students must be able to load software on the computers they will be using. Some courses may require additional software. Technology changes rapidly – as a result, these requirements are subject to change.
Ready to start an application?
Franklin's student-centered philosophy is one of the many reasons so many students choose us!START YOUR APPLICATION