Military & Veterans
20 Ways to Get Your Resume Ready for 2020
20 Ways to Get Your Resume Ready for 2020:
- Write a resume for a job. Each job deserves a tailored resume. You deserve a job.
- Know yourself, know your audience, and know what matters most. Research is the answer.
- Do not keep your value a secret.
- Title the resume with the title of the job you want.
- Know how ATS (applicant tracking system) will read your resume. Research how ATS works.
- Provide examples of how the application of your skills resulted in positive outcomes.
- No need to list all career history. Ten years of recent employment detail is typically sufficient.
- Highlight top career achievements and provide the proof, metrics, etc.
- Focus on achievements, not tasks, in your resume.
- Lead with results and front-load points throughout for greater impact.
- Let the resume be storytelling in nature.
- Weave the right keywords throughout the file that relate to the target role and audience.
- Use an active voice with lots of success/action words.
- Engage modern, well-suited design components.
- Include appropriate white space; make it easy to read.
- Content is king, but presentation matters too. It needs to appeal to and lead the eye.
- Use strategic content to de-emphasize any employment gaps.
- Remove any possible resume red flags to help improve application success.
- Ensure the resume look and strategy isn’t aging you. Use a modern approach.
- Proofread, proofread, and have someone else proofread.