Bringing Dependents to the U.S.

Bringing Dependents To The U.S.

The process to bring someone to the U.S. is dependant on your relationship with that person as well as how long they plan to stay in the United States. Below you will find detailed information about those processes as well as all the documentation that will need to be completed.

Contact OISP

Relatives and Friends

F-2 Visa (Dependent Visa)

If you are an F-1 student and your children or spouse would like to visit, they would be considered your dependents and would therefore fulfill the requirements for a F-2 visa. If this is the case please contact OISP.

B-2 Visa (Visitor Visa)

If you like to invite friends or family from abroad to visit you in the United States for a short time either the Visa Waiver Program or the B-2 visa would be the appropriate visa.

The purpose of the B-visa is to come to the United States temporarily for no longer than 90 days for purposes such as vacation, tourism, visiting friends or relatives. The applicant will have to prove that they have no intent to immigrate, meaning they have to show evidence that they have binding ties outside the United States and that they have sufficient funds to cover the expenses during their stay in the U.S.

You can find more information concerning visitor visas at and

Visa Waiver Program
If the visitor is a citizen of one of the currently 38 countries in the Visa Waiver Program they do not need a B-visa. You can find more information about the Visa Waiver Program at

Please note that a traveler who entered the U.S. on the Visa Waiver program CANNOT change status within the US.