Montgomery GI Bill

Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB) - Chapter 30

The MGIB program provides up to 36 months of education benefits. This benefit may be used for degree and certificate programs, flight training, apprenticeship/on-the-job training and correspondence courses. Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances. Generally, benefits are payable for 10 years following your release from active duty. This program is also commonly known as Chapter 30.

OMVA Office Information

Application Process for the Montgomery GI Bill®

The first thing you should do is determine your eligibility for these benefits with the VA by calling 1.888.442.4551. 

  1. Complete the Application for Benefits (22-1995) form on the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs. Or see step 2 if you have ever used your VA educational benefits at another school.
    • Following the successful processing of your benefits application, the VA will issue a Certificate of Eligibility to you by mail. The VA will not send this to the school; it is your responsibility to send a copy of this to OMVA at Franklin upon receipt.
    • The U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs currently estimates that processing will require 28 calendar days. Franklin University cannot be responsible for complications or delays in benefit awards due to VA delays in application processing.
  2. Complete the Change of Place or Training (22-1995) form instead of the 22-1990 if you have used your benefits at previous school.
  3. Submit a Plan of Attendance (POA) each academic year in which benefits are requested.
  4. Certification of Benefits
    • Upon registration and receipt of all required documentation, Franklin's Office of Military & Veterans Affairs will forward an Enrollment Certification (22-1999) to the VA Regional Office.
  5. Verify Attendance
    • Log in to the W.A.V.E. website on the last calendar day of every month to verify your enrollment.

Important Note

Situations that may affect payment of VA benefits include the following:

  • Repeated or audited courses
  • Change or addition of major program
  • Add or drop in credit hours
  • Developmental education courses not applicable to degree
  • Any education course in which a grade of “Z”, “NZ”, or “W” is earned
  • Non-receipt of official transcripts from previous colleges and universities attended
  • VA training time

Regulations require that all such items be reported to the VA so that adjustments can be made accordingly. Failure to notify the Office of Military and Veteran Affairs may result in overpayments or withholding of benefits.