Survivors & Dependents Assistance

Dependents' Educational Assistance provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of certain veterans. The program offers up to 45 months of education benefits.


You must be the son, daughter, or spouse of:

  • A veteran who died or is permanently and totally disabled as the result of a service-connected disability. The disability must arise out of active service in the Armed Forces.
  • A veteran who died from any cause while such service-connected disability was in existence.
  • A service member missing in action or captured in line of duty by a hostile force.
  • A service member forcibly detained or interned in line of duty by a foreign government or power.
  • A service member who is hospitalized or receiving outpatient treatment for a service connected permanent and total disability and is likely to be discharged for that disability. This change is effective December 23, 2006.

Application Process:

  1. Complete the Dependents Application for VA Educational Benefits (22-5490) form on the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs.
    1. Print three copies of your application: one copy for your record, one copy to send to the VA, and one copy that you will submit to the Franklin’s Office of Military and Veteran Affairs.
    2. Following the successful processing of your benefits application, the VA will issue a “Certificate of Eligibility” to you by mail.  The VA will not send this to the school; it is your responsibility to send a copy of this to the Office of Military and Veteran Affairs at Franklin upon receipt.
    3. The U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs currently estimates that processing will require twenty-eight calendar days.  Franklin University cannot be responsible for complications or delays in benefit awards due to VA delays in application processing.
  2. Complete the Dependents Request for Change of Program or Place of Training (22-5495) form instead of the 22-5490 if you have used your benefits at previous school.
  3. Submit a Plan of Attendance (POA) each academic year in which benefits are requested.
  4. Certification of Benefits
    1. Upon receipt of all required documentation, the Office of Military and Veteran Affairs will forward an Enrollment Certification (22-1999) to the VA Regional Office, except at the start of a new term, in which case an Enrollment Certification (22-1999) will be sent three weeks prior to the start of the term.

Have a question?

Get Answers Now Ask Franklin's Virtual Advisor:

Ask real questions like
"How do I apply?"

Ready to start an application?

Franklin's student-centered philosophy is one of the many reasons so many students choose us!