Build your English language skills at a university with global reach
Franklin University has a strong history of providing English as a Second Language (ESL) courses that are effective and convenient. Our program has helped thousands of students over the course of the past two decades build the skills necessary for academic success.
ESL for Academic Purposes
Franklin’s ESL program was designed to help degree-seeking students master the language skills necessary for reading, writing, listening, and speaking in the classroom environment.
The ESL program is open to anyone who has completed secondary school (or the equivalent) and has received beginning-level training in English. Your course-level placement (Intermediate, High Intermediate, or Advanced) is based upon the results of oral and written Franklin University tests, in addition to your TOEFL or IELTS scores. You will also be assessed for placement into a two-course sequence in pronunciation.
College credit is available for Advanced-level courses, which meet the University’s requirements for College Writing and Speech Communication, or Interpersonal Communication - and upon completion of the courses; you can enroll directly into your degree program.
ESL for Professional Purposes: BlueHorizon ESL Language and Professional Programs
Franklin University is also proud to offer short-term, intensive English language programs designed to develop the language skills, business acumen, and cultural fluency of both international students and business professionals. The BlueHorizon ESL Language and Professional Programs can range from 2-15 weeks and are offered in a face-to-face format. Participants reside in university housing and engage in both campus and community activities designed to promote interaction with native speakers, and to provide real-world reinforcement for their classroom learning experiences.
The immersion program provides a three-dimensional learning experience that bridges the crucial gap between theory and practice. The program combines intensive language study with business-focused, project-based assignments designed as hands-on opportunities for students to apply newly acquired language and professional skills. Throughout the program, students are exposed to subject matter experts and leaders addressing professional topics, which are then seen in the context of field visits and language immersion opportunities.
- This program is designed to enhance program participants’ ability to compete in a global job market by providing the opportunity to:
- Engage with American business professionals and industry experts through job shadowing, site tours, and on-campus lectures
- Experience American university life including attending business classes with native speakers
- Develop English language skills including area-specific vocabulary for business communications rooted in a strong foundation of cultural best practices
- Apply English language skills to develop and deliver formal team-based business presentations for American audiences
- Gain exposure to US customs and traditions by participating in extra-curricular campus activities and developing interpersonal relationships with a culturally diverse student body.
- Prepare for graduate level study by reviewing the US higher education structure, its policies, and opportunities