Updating Records

Updating Records

An important part of maintaining F-1 status while in the U.S. is keeping records regarding your travel and stay in the U.S. updated and accurate.  Provide updated information to OISP, and keep a copy of all records indefinitely.

Contact OISP

Address Reporting

If you move to a different address during your stay in the U.S., you are required to notify OISP within 10 days of the change.  Check your address and submit any changes or corrections by using Self Service in myFranklin.  Remember to continue to update your address over Summer Trimester and after graduation if you will remain in the U.S. while working on OPT.   

Arrival/Departure Record

The Form I-94 “Arrival/Departure Record” is a document recording your entry to the U.S.  Each time that you travel depart the U.S. and re-enter, view your I-94 at https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/ to verify the accuracy of the information recorded.  If there are any inaccuracies, you will need to visit a local CBP Deferred Inspection Site or Port of Entry (POE) to request the correction.

I-94 records are often requested for immigration-related applications, so keep a copy for your own records and submit a copy to OISP.  It can be helpful to keep a copy of your travel history, also available at https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/.

Form I-20

Your I-20, or “Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status” is a document you use to apply for a student visa, to enter the U.S. for your studies, and to apply for benefits while in the U.S.  It is, also, an abbreviated record of information that OISP is required to maintain in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). Notify OISP immediately of any changes that impact your I-20, including:

  • Program start date if you are requesting a deferred start 
  • Program end date, which must be shortened if you will finish your program early or will not complete your program by that date. 
  • Degree level 
  • Major or minor 
  • Biographical data changes, such as changes to your legal name


Your passport must remain valid while you remain in the U.S., and you should consult your country’s embassy/consulate in the U.S. to determine how and when you should apply for a renewal. If name or other biographical data changes, send OISP official notice so that we can update your I-20 to match.

Form 1-515A

U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) may issue you a Form I-515A “Notice to Student of Exchange Visitor” if you arrive at a U.S. port of entry without required documents.  The I-515A allows you temporary admittance to the U.S. for 30 days, and you must send the required documents to the I-515A processing team during that time or your F-1 status will be terminated.  Consult OISP immediately for guidance if you receive an I-515A when traveling. 

Employment Authorization Document

The Form I-766 is commonly referred to as an EAD card, and you will receive it by mail if U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) approve an application for employment, such as for Optional Practical Training.  Upon receipt, verify that all information is correct and matches the application submitted to U.S.  Carry this card when filing our employment eligibility paperwork for any employer and whenever traveling, and keep a copy for future applications to USCIS.

STEM OPT Training Plan

If you have been approved for a Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) extension to your post-completion Optional Practical Training (OPT), you will need to submit a Form I-983 “Training Plan for STEM OPT Students” to OISP.  Self-assessments conducted after 12 months and at the conclusion of STEM OPT must be submitted to OISP with an employer review and signature. The I-983 must be submitted to OISP within 10 days of these milestones or any substantive changes. Substantive changes to the training plan include:

  • End of employment 
  • Change of your employer’s Employer Identification Number (EIN) 
  • Reduction in compensation unrelated to reduction in hours worked 
  • Significant decrease in hours per week worked 
  • Changes to the employer’s commitments or your learning objectives 

Detailed information for students and employers is available at the Study in the States STEM OPT Hub.