Montgomery GI Bill - Selected Reserves

Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserves- CH 1606

The MGIB-SR program may be available to you if you are a member of the Selected Reserve. The Selected Reserve includes the Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve and Coast Guard Reserve, and the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard.
You may use this education assistance program for degree programs, certificate or correspondence courses, cooperative training, independent study programs, apprenticeship/on-the-job training, and vocational flight training programs. Remedial, refresher and deficiency training are available under certain circumstances.

OMVA Office Information

Eligibility for the Montgomery GI Bill® Selected Reserves

The first thing you should do is determine your eligibility for these benefits with the VA by calling 1.888.442.4551 (1.888.GI.BILL.1) 
Eligibility for this program is determined by the Selected Reserve components. The VA makes the payments for this program. You may be entitled to receive up to 36 months of education benefits. Your eligibility for the program normally ends on the day you leave the Selected Reserve.
One exception to this rule exists if you are mobilized (or recalled to active duty from your reserve status). In this case, your eligibility may be extended for the amount of time you are mobilized PLUS four months. For example, if you are mobilized for 12 months your eligibility period is extended for 16 months (12 months active duty PLUS 4 months.) So even if you leave the reserves after mobilization, you may have additional eligibility to the MGIB-SR.
If your unit was deactivated during the period beginning on Oct. 1, 2007 through Sept. 30, 2014, or you are involuntarily separated (for reasons other than misconduct) you will retain your original period of eligibility which is 14 years from the date of your first 6-year obligation with the Selected Reserves.


Application Process

Complete the Application for Benefits (22-1995) form on the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs. (Or skip to step #2 if you have ever used your VA educational benefits at another school to learn how to change your benefits from the previous school to now use at Franklin University.)

  1. Following the successful processing of your benefits application, the VA will issue a Certificate of Eligibility to you by mail. The VA will not send this approval letter to the school. The U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs currently estimates that processing will require 30 calendar days. Franklin University cannot be responsible for complications or delays in benefit awards due to VA delays in application processing.
  2. Complete the Change of Place or Training (22-1995) form instead of the 22-1990 if you have used your benefits at a previous school.

Please send Franklin a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility (COE) or email a screenshot of your e-benefits entitlement page to This way, we can update your student record to show you will be using VA benefits.   
Certification of Benefits:

  • Once your student record is coded to show you will be using VA benefits, each time you register for class(es) you will receive an automated email from the school to inquire if you want to be certified for the semester.
  • If you select that you want us to certify your enrollment with the VA, Franklin's OMVA team will forward an Enrollment Certification (22-1999) to the VA Regional Office.
  • Verify Attendance
  • You will need to verify your enrollment. Log in to the W.A.V.E. website on the last calendar day of every month to verify your enrollment for the month. Or you can call 1-888-GI-Bill-1 for assistance.

Important Note:

Situations that may affect the payment of VA benefits include the following:

  • Repeated or audited courses
  • Change or addition of major program
  • Add or drop in credit hours
  • Developmental education courses not applicable to a student's degree
  • Any education course in which a grade of “Z”, “NZ”, or “W” is earned
  • Non-receipt of official transcripts from previous colleges and universities attended
  • VA training time
  • Regulations require that all such items be reported to the VA so that adjustments can be made accordingly. Failure to notify an advisor in the Office of Military & Veteran Affairs may result in overpayments or withholding of benefits. (Be sure to email or call 1-877-341-6300, to ensure you speak with an advisor in the office of Military & Veteran Affairs.)


GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at