Skip to main content
Survivors & Dependents Assistance

Survivors & Dependents Assistance (Chapter 35)

Dependent’s Educational Assistance provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of certain veterans. The program offers up to 45 months of education benefits. These benefits may be used for degree and certificate programs, apprenticeship and on-the-job training. If you are a spouse, you may take a correspondence course. Remedial, deficiency and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances.

OMVA Office Information


You must be the son, daughter, or spouse of:

  • A veteran who died or is permanently and totally disabled as the result of a service-connected disability. The disability must arise out of active service in the Armed Forces.
  • A veteran who died from any cause while such service-connected disability was in existence.
  • A service member missing in action or captured in line of duty by a hostile force.
  • A service member forcibly detained or interned in line of duty by a foreign government or power.
  • A service member who is hospitalized or receiving outpatient treatment for a service connected permanent and total disability and is likely to be discharged for that disability. This change is effective Dec. 23, 2006.

Application Process

1. Complete the Dependent’s Application for VA Educational Benefits (22-5490) form on the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs.

  • Print three copies of your application: one copy for your record, one copy to send to the VA, and one copy that you will submit to the Franklin’s Office of Military and Veteran Affairs.
  • Following the successful processing of your benefits application, the VA will issue a Certificate of Eligibility to you by mail. The VA will not send this to the school; it is your responsibility to send a copy of this to the Office of Military and Veteran Affairs at Franklin upon receipt.
  • The U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs currently estimates that processing will require 28 calendar days. Franklin University cannot be responsible for complications or delays in benefit awards due to VA delays in application processing.

2. Complete the Dependent’s Request for Change of Program or Place of Training (22-5495) form instead of the 22-5490 if you have used your benefits at previous school.

3. Submit a Plan of Attendance (POA) each academic year in which benefits are requested.

4. Certification of Benefits

  • Upon receipt of all required documentation, the Office of Military and Veteran Affairs will forward an Enrollment Certification (22-1999) to the VA Regional Office, except at the start of a new term, in which case an Enrollment Certification (22-1999) will be sent three weeks prior to the start of the term.