Post 9/11 GI Bill®

Post 9/11 GI Bill® - Chapter 33

The first thing you should do is determine your eligibility for the Post 9/11 GI Bill with the VA by calling 1-888-GIBILL1 or clicking here.  Generally speaking, you are eligible for Post 9/11 GI Bill if you have served at least 90 days on full-time active duty service.

OMVA Office Information

How to Apply for the Post-9/11 GI Bill®

Action Items

1. Complete the Application for Benefits (22-1990) form on the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs application for benefits website. (If you are chaging schools from a previous instiution to Franklin University, see step 2

  • Following the successful processing of your benefits application, the VA will issue a “Certificate of Eligibility” to you by mail. The VA will not send this to the school; it is your responsibility to send a copy of this to Franklin University's Office of Military & Veteran Affairs (OMVA) upon receipt.
  • The U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs currently estimates that processing will require up to thirty calendar days. Franklin University cannot be responsible for complications or delays in benefit awards due to VA delays in application processing.

2. Complete the Change of Place or Training (22-1995) form instead of the 22-1990 if you have used your benefits at any previous school.

Certification of Benefits

  • Upon registration and receipt of all required documentation, Franklin's Office of Military & Veterans Affairs (OMVA) will forward an Enrollment Certification (22-1999) to the VA Regional Office.
  • If you are at the 100% tier your tuition will be paid by the VA around 10 days before each class begins. You will not need to pay upfront for your tuition.
  • If you are at anything less than 100% you will be responsible for paying your portion of your tuition adhering to Franklin’s payment policy (payment is due at the beginning of your first class).

Important Note about receiving housing stipend each month:

Starting in the 2021-2022 school year, Post-9/11 GI Bill® students who receive Monthly Housing Allowance (MHA) and/or kicker payments are required to verify their enrollment to continue receiving their payments. Students are required to verfify their attendance at the first of each month following the month they were enrolled. Enrollment verification is a new requirement for Post-9/11 GI Bill students to verify that they have remained enrolled in the same courses or training every month. Students who receive MHA/kicker payments will have their payments withheld if they fail to verify or report that they are no longer enrolled in their courses or training. To streamline the process, VA is providing the option to verify enrollment easily and securely via text message. 

  • Learn how to opt-in for text message enrollment verficiation directly with the VA, or other options, here!

Situations that may affect payment of VA benefits include the following:

  • Repeated or audited courses
  • Change or addition of major program
  • Add or drop in credit hours
  • Developmental education courses not applicable to degree and/or taken as online
  • Any education course in which a grade of “Z”, “NZ”, or “W” is earned
  • Non-receipt of official transcripts from previous colleges and universities attended
  • Online classes (reduced stipend)
  • VA training time

Regulations require that all such items be reported to the VA so that adjustments can be made accordingly. Failure to notify the Office of Military & Veteran Affairs may result in overpayments or withholding of benefits.

For more information on Post-9/11 GI Bill® please visit the VA Website.

Transfer of Post-9/11 GI Bill® Benefits to Dependents (TEB):

Service members enrolled in the Post-9/11 GI Bill program will be able to transfer unused educational benefits to their spouses or children as of August 1, 2009.  Please view the following eligibility requirements:

Transfer to Family Member Process:

First you must go to the DoD transferability application website to determine if your dependents are eligible to receive the transferred benefits. This website is only available to military members.

Upon approval, family members may apply to use transferred benefits with VA by completing VA Form 22-1990e. VA Form 22-1990e should only be completed and submitted to VA by the family member after DoD has approved the request for TEB. Do not use VA Form 22-1990e to apply for TEB.
Paper Version of 22-1990e

Certification of Benefits

To initially set up your VA record and use your elilgilble benefits at Franklin University, please see the following requirements.

  1. Submit a copy of your certificate of eligibility (COE) or a screenshot of your e-benefit confirmation of entitlement to
  2. Once your record is updated to show you have been approved to use VA benefits at Franklin University, you will receive an automated email each semester that you register for classes to inquire if you would like us to certify your enrollment and submit it to the VA.
    • Once we receive your reply to that outreach, we will act upon the request.  
    • After your enrollment is certified, you will receive a confirmation email from VAOnce to show your enrollment has been sent to the VA.
    • Verify your attendance following each month you were enrolled and certified in order to receving your housing stipend or kicker payments

If you are at anything less than 100% you will be responsible for paying your portion of your tuition adhering to Franklin’s payment policy (payment is due at the beginning of your first class). Plan to use your book stipend for any e-book or other course material charges.