There was an unexpected error with the form (your web browser was unable to retrieve some required data from our servers). This kind of error may occur if you have temporarily lost your internet connection. If you're able to verify that your internet connection is stable and the error persists, the Franklin University Help Desk is available to assist you at email@example.com, 614.947.6682 (local), or 1.866.435.7006 (toll free).
Just a moment while we process your submission.
Online MBA Programs in Ohio: What to Know Before You Choose
A Master of Business Administration (MBA) is one of the most well-recognized and sought-after credentials in the business world. It’s prominence transcends industries and can accelerate your career. This is especially true in the diverse Ohio economy.
While getting your MBA can put you on the path to top leadership positions in your organization, it’s also a significant commitment. For working professionals in the prime of their career, an online MBA can offer the best of both worlds. An online MBA program allows you to get the credential you need to advance, without putting your career on hold.
If you’re considering getting your MBA online in Ohio, here’s what you need to know.
Online MBAs Are Surpassing Traditional MBAs in Ohio
Degree completions for online MBAs have grown by a staggering amount in Ohio—52.9% from 2012 to 2018. On the other hand, completions for non-distance MBA programs have decreased by 35.9% in Ohio.
Reasons online MBAs are increasingly popular in Ohio:
- Greater Accessibility: Getting your MBA online is often far more practical than getting it in person. In-person programs often require full-time student status, which means you have to put your career on pause to get your degree. Unless you’re going to a top-tier school with an emphasis on direct career replacement, most professionals find online education to be a superior option.
- Faster Time to Completion: One of the main reasons professionals look for online MBA programs in Ohio is because they want to accelerate getting their degree. Many online MBA programs can be completed in just 1-2 years.
- Real-World Leadership Skills: Professionals in Ohio want to turn their MBA into advancement opportunities. To do so, they need hands-on education that emphasizes functional expertise and leadership skills, which today’s online MBA programs can deliver.
- Higher Diversity of Peers: While you may be looking for an online MBA program in Ohio, your classmates could be from across the country or around the world. Because you aren’t restricted to a physical campus, you benefit from the greater diversity of ideas, experiences, and backgrounds that come with students from different geographies.
Why to Get Your Online MBA in Ohio
According to data from the Chronicle of Higher Education, only about 7.6% of Ohio's population holds master's degrees. Getting your MBA puts you in an elite group of professionals and can give you a competitive edge over bachelor's degree holders.
Not only does an MBA help you compete, it also opens the door to new job opportunities. According to labor market analytics firm EMSI, as of 2018, there were 29,263 jobs in Ohio that required an MBA. These positions are expected to grow by 9.6% by 2029.
What matters most when choosing a master’s program? Compare features, benefits and cost to find the right school for you.
Top Employers For Online MBAs in Ohio
One of the reasons MBA graduates are so sought after is the extremely diverse Ohio economy. Ohio is home to leading companies from major sectors like healthcare, technology, finance, manufacturing, retail and food service. All of these businesses depend on business leaders to help them grow their footprint, increase profitability and maintain a competitive edge.
When looking at the number of job postings over the last year, the following were the top ten companies in Ohio looking for professionals with an MBA:
|Emerson Electric Co.||Manufacturing|
|The Ohio State University||Education|
|JP Morgan Chase & Co.||Banking & Finance|
|General Electric Company||Multinational Conglomerate|
|Children's Hospital Medical Center of Akron||Healthcare|
10 Top Universities in Ohio for Getting Your Online MBA
There are extensive options for getting your MBA online. In Ohio alone, there are 20 universities that offer online MBA degrees. From large public universities to private nonprofits, these schools offer a variety of online education experiences.
One way to evaluate the strength of a university’s online MBA program is by the number of graduates each school produces. While this is only one of many factors to consider, a larger number of completions points to a program that attracts, retains, and graduates a large number of professionals each year.
Top Online MBA Programs in Ohio By Degree Completions
|University||Number of Completions (2018)|
|Cleveland State University||225|
|The University of Findlay||158|
|Wright State University||140|
|Ohio Christian University||108|
|University of Dayton||72|
|Mount Vernon Nazarene University||70|
|Ohio Dominican University||67|
Now that you have an idea of some of the largest online MBA programs in Ohio, you need to find the right program for you.
How to Choose the Best Online MBA in Ohio for Your Needs
Everyone has different needs and expectations when it comes to online education, so make sure you’re taking these important factors into consideration.
- Strong Reputation with Employers: University name recognition, quality perception and student satisfaction can all play a role in how your online MBA degree is viewed by employers. Make sure you do research on the reputation of the online MBA program, focusing on things like student and faculty reviews and university statistics like graduation percentage and student outcomes.
- Accreditation: There are two primary types of college and university accreditation—national and regional. Regional accreditation is the most stringent, which can be an indicator of quality. Individual programs may also be accredited. For example, online MBA programs may be IACBE accredited, which shows best-practice standards for business education with a focus on real-world, applicable skills. Other bodies also provide accreditation for MBA programs, including the AACSB, which is another prominent accrediting body.
- Established Industry Partnerships: While most online MBA programs do not have direct career placement services, it’s important to find a program that’s well connected with top industry players. Look for an online MBA program that has developed employer partnerships, especially in the industry you are employed (or want to be employed). Employer partnerships can also be beneficial if a university offers tuition discounts to your employer.
- Industry Relevant Curriculum: How many credit hours are required to graduate? How many courses are you expected to take at one time to complete your degree on an accelerated timeline? Make sure you have clear answers to these questions, as well as understand the content of the curriculum. Some online MBA programs also offer concentrations in specific areas—like insurance, marketing, international management and more—so evaluate if that’s an important aspect to you when choosing an online MBA program.
- Faculty with Practical Expertise: Who will be teaching your classes? Will it be someone who’s an academic with limited practical experience or an industry professional? Many online MBA students are looking for highly-relevant applications of the course content, which is often best delivered by faculty with first-hand experience. The best online MBA programs make it easy to find out who your MBA faculty will be and what credentials they have.
- Good Value: Tuition, fees, and outside costs can all impact the total costs of getting your online MBA degree. Look at how the university charges tuition—whether it’s cost per credit hour or cost for a specified time period like a semester. However, remember that cheaper isn't always better. Make sure you’re taking a holistic view of the value of the online MBA program you choose.
The Bottom Line—An Online MBA is Worth It in Ohio
Getting your online MBA can be extremely beneficial to your career. The most important thing to remember—find the online MBA program that aligns with your needs and career goals.
Explore Franklin University’s online MBA degree to see how Franklin offers one of the top online MBA programs in Ohio. Franklin’s curriculum, faculty and support services are all focused on providing the highest quality and most relevant online MBA degree for working professionals—all for a great value.