General Technology Requirements
At Franklin University, you may use your own laptop or other device to complete your online classes. Please see below for recommended device specifications for access to online learning materials. To take advantage of all student technology resources, you must be able to load software onto your computer. Franklin University’s Help Desk is happy to provide support, but may not be able to offer assistance for devices that do not meet these requirements.
What Technology Should Be Used for Online Learning
- Plan to use a laptop computer or desktop computer for best results. See below for more specifications.
- Windows operating systems are recommended. Apple computers have been used successfully for online learning by many students at Franklin University. However, please be advised that some technology-reliant degree programs may require software that is not guaranteed to be compatible with Apple computers. In such cases, students are required to procure their own access to compatible devices for course assignments.
- Chromebooks are not recommended and do not meet our minimum requirements. Chromebooks do not allow for the installation of some software required for many degree programs. Additionally, some testing applications are not compatible with Chromebooks.
- While phones and tablets can be used for student email, and some online learning materials, access to a computer is still required to complete your online education at Franklin University. Mobile devices do not allow for the installation of software required for many degree programs. Additionally, some testing applications are not compatible with mobile devices.
Operating System and Software Requirements:
- Current Microsoft Windows operating system. Windows 7 minimum, Windows 11 or Windows 10 recommended (not Windows 10 S Mode).
- Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, & Access). Students can get free Office here.
- Virus protection – updated and scanned regularly.
- Up to date versions of Internet browsers such as Google Chrome.
Minimum Hardware Requirements:
- 4 GB RAM minimum.
- 40 GB or higher of available hard drive space at the beginning of each term.
- Integrated PC microphone and speakers or a headset with microphone.
- A high-speed internet connection with a download speed of 10 Mbps minimum. 50 Mbps or faster is more advantageous for online course meetings.
- Use of satellite, cellular, or public access internet may result in poor performance.
- Some testing services or courses may require a webcam. To view the technical requirements used for some of the testing while at Franklin University, please see the following links.
Our Technology Help Desk is able to provide assistance with accessing online learning materials. The Help Desk is unable to directly support your hardware in cases of hardware malfunction. However, the Help Desk can provide remote screen sharing support with those using compatible hardware. Hours and contact methods for the Franklin University Technology Help Desk can be found here.
Because technology changes rapidly, these requirements are subject to change without notice.