At Franklin University, you may use your own laptop or other device to complete your online classes. Your devices must meet or exceed our hardware, operating system and software specifications, otherwise you may not have access to some of our systems. To take advantage of all student technology resources, you must be able to load software onto your computer. Some courses may require additional software. Franklin University’s Help Desk is happy to provide support, but may not be able to offer assistance for devices that do not meet these requirements.
Please check your device for these hardware and software requirements:
General Technology Requirements
Operating System and Software Requirements:
- Current Microsoft Windows operating system. Windows 7 minimum, Windows 10 recommended (not Windows 10 S Mode).
- Chromebooks, Apple products, and devices with Windows 10 S Mode enabled do not meet our minimum requirements. Such devices are not able to install and open certain applications specifically designed for Microsoft Windows.
- Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, & Access). Students can get free Office here.
- Virus protection – updated and scanned regularly
- Up to date versions of Internet browsers required:
- Google Chrome – required for BlueQuill
Minimum Hardware Requirements:
- Dual Core processor at 1 GHz or faster
- 4 GB RAM minimum
- 40 GB or higher of available hard drive space at the beginning of each term
- 1024 x 768 minimum resolution display
- Integrated PC microphone and speakers or a headset with microphone
- A high speed internet connection with a download speed of 4 Mbps or faster (Use of satellite, cellular, or public access internet may result in poor performance)
- Apple products
- Devices with Windows 10 S Mode enabled
These incompatible device types do not meet our minimum requirements as they are not able to install and open certain applications specifically designed for Microsoft Windows.
Because technology changes rapidly, these requirements are subject to change without notice.