Transfer College Credits to our Online College Degree Programs

Transferring Credit

Finish your degree faster with Franklin's effective transfer credit process

At Franklin University, going back to school doesn't mean you're starting over. We're a transfer-friendly school where community and technical college students can finish their bachelor's degrees faster by transferring up to 94 semester hours of previously-earned credits. 

With such a seamless transfer process, it's easy to see why 90% of our students use their transfer credits from other schools. 

Find out how many of your college credits transfer

You may be closer to earning your degree than you think! Use our free transfer credit equivalency tool to get an estimate of the number of credits you could transfer to Franklin, how much money those credits are worth, and how quickly you can finish your bachelor's degree. Start using our transfer tool today.

Please submit your official transcript* in a sealed envelope issued directly from the institution to:

Franklin University
ATTN: Office of Transfer and Articulation
201 S. Grant Ave.
Columbus, Ohio 43215-5339

888.341.6237 (toll free)

*Transcripts from institutions outside the US must be submitted to an approved third-party transcript evaluation agency.  Please request a course-by-course evaluation and request that the evaluation be submitted directly to Franklin University.

What does Franklin accept as undergraduate transfer credit?

Applicants from institutions of higher education which are regionally accredited, accredited by organizations recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) and/or the US Department of Education, or institutions recognized as candidates for such accreditation may be granted transfer credit based on an evaluation by Franklin University of official transcripts from all colleges previously attended. For coursework from non-accredited institutions, Franklin University has established a formal review process to determine transferability of credit hours on a case-by-case basis. Credit will be accepted for any college course completed with a grade of “D” or higher, including grades of “Pass” and examination credit, subject to GPA and course requirements pertaining to one’s major program. “D” grades are not permitted in major area courses regardless of where the course is taken. Some majors (i.e. Accounting, Computer Science, and Financial Management) may have rules regarding the transferability of credits 10 years or older. Credit will be awarded based on subject matter, prerequisites, level and laboratory requirements.

Professional Training

Transfer credit may be awarded for courses or professional training offered through business and industry. For example, Franklin University awards transfer credit for courses taken through the American Institute of Banking (AIB) or the Life Office Management Association (LOMA). Such credit will be awarded based on the recommendations found in The National Guide to Educational Credit for Training Programs (published by the American Council on Education), or The Directory of the National Program on Noncollegiate Sponsored Instruction. Official transcripts or original certificates of completion must be submitted for evaluation. Nontraditional certificates may also be reviewed for consideration of credit. In addition to official transcripts or original certificates, the student must provide their Academic Advisor with a syllabus or workbook for the course, evidence of a test and the amount of time spent in class.

Military Training

Transfer credit also is awarded for courses taken in the armed services. Such credit will be awarded based on the recommendations found in the Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services. Original military certificates and appropriate military records must be submitted before military credit can be evaluated.

Students who are, or have been, in the military will need to submit the following paperwork for possible transfer credit:

  • Army, Coast Guard, Navy, or Marines personnel must submit a Joint Services Transcript (JST) for evaluation.  Transcripts can be requested free of charge through the Joint Services Transcript system website.
  • A Joint Services Transcript must be submitted by Army servicemembers with a Basic Active Service Date (BASD) on or after October 1, 1981, Navy veterans who separated or retired after January 1975, and Marines who separated or retired on or after January 1, 1980.
  • Active personnel who do not meet criteria listed above for a Joint Services Transcript must submit a DD 295.  Separated or retired personnel who also not meet the requirements must submit a DD 214.
  • Air Force personnel must submit a transcript from the Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) for a complete evaluation.


Transfer credit also is awarded for courses taken from StraighterLine. Such credit will be awarded based on the existing articulation agreement. Students can view course equivalencies on the StraighterLine website or by visiting myTransferCredit. Original transcripts from StraighterLine must be submitted to the University Registrar.

Transfer Deficiencies

All courses at Franklin are offered on a semester credit hour basis (1 quarter hour = .67 semester hour). Students may be deficient in credit hour requirements and degree components, and may fill deficiencies in the following ways (A transfer deficiency occurs when a student transfers less than the required number of credit hours for each course):

• General Education core deficiencies of three hours or fewer may be met with General Education courses, Major Area electives, or University electives. Deficiencies of four hours or more must be met with General Education electives. (Effective for new students beginning Winter 2007)

• Business/Professional Core deficiencies may be met with Major Area electives or Business/Professional Core equivalent credit.

• Major Area deficiencies must be met with Major Area electives.

• A student may be required to take additional University elective credits to complete the total credit hours required to earn a specific degree.

How do I appeal Franklin's decision?

If you disagree with the application of transfer credit, you shall be informed of the right to appeal the decision and the process for filing the appeal.

To submit an appeal, see an Academic Advisor for guidelines. All final decisions for appeals are granted by the Program Chairperson.

How many credits can I transfer?

You must meet Franklin University's residency requirements. For a bachelor’s degree you must earn at least 30 credit hours in residence at Franklin University to be eligible for a degree. For an associate’s degree you must earn at least 20 credit hours in residence at Franklin to be eligible.

In addition, when pursuing both bachelor’s and associate’s degrees, you must successfully complete in residence at Franklin University a minimum of 20 credit hours of major area courses at the 300 or 400 level for the bachelor’s degree or a minimum of 12 credit hours of major area courses at the 200 level or above for the associate’s degree.

If you are pursuing a subsequent bachelor’s degree, you must earn a minimum of 30 credit hours at the 200 level or above, of which a minimum of 16 credit hours must be major area courses at the 300 or 400 level. Credit hours of major area courses at the 300 or 400 level for the bachelor’s degree or a minimum of 12 credit hours of major area courses at the 200 level or above for the associate’s degree.

Courses considered upper level at Franklin University will not normally be applied from two-year colleges toward a bachelor’s degree.

Can credit be awarded for Advanced Placement Testing?

If you have taken an Advanced Placement test at your high school and received a score of three, four, or five, you may be awarded University credit. To receive advanced placement through this program, you must arrange for your test scores to be sent to the Transfer Credit Office.

What if I change my major after being accepted?

If you wish to declare a major program other than that designated upon entry, you must contact an Academic Advisor to determine how your transfer credit will apply to the new major program.

If you choose to declare a new major program based on the results of that consultation, you will be bound by the requirements in effect at the time you re-declare.

What happens if I take a course that has been transferred?

If you repeat a course equivalent to one for which you have been granted transfer credit, the transfer credit will be deleted. If you are uncertain as to which courses you have already transferred, contact your Academic Advisor.

Should I meet with my Academic Advisor to go over the acceptance?

Yes! You should review the acceptance and application of transfer credit with your Academic Advisor who may apply appropriate substitutions to major requirements in consultation with the appropriate program chair.

What happens to my transcripts?

All transcripts submitted become the property of Franklin University. Duplicates of the transcripts will not be released to a student or a third party.

What does Franklin accept as Graduate Transfer Credit?

Applicants from regionally accredited institutions of higher education (or institutions recognized as candidates for accreditation) may be granted transfer credit based on an evaluation by Franklin University of official transcripts, course descriptions, and syllabi (if available) sent directly to the Graduate Office from all colleges previously attended. Normally, credit will be accepted for comparable graduate courses completed with a grade of “B” or higher (or the equivalent) and completed within the time frame established for the subject area in question.

How many credits can I transfer?

Up to 12 hours of transfer credit may be awarded.

Transfer students must meet University Graduate residency requirements. Please see the Academic Bulletin for additional information.

Can undergraduate courses be applied to my graduate degree?

Courses considered undergraduate level will not be applied toward graduate degrees.

Need help financing your education? Learn about Financial Aid at Franklin University.

Have a question?

Get Answers Now Ask Franklin's Virtual Advisor:

Ask real questions like
"How do I apply?"

Ready to start an application?

Franklin's student-centered philosophy is one of the many reasons so many students choose us!